A Conservatorship Lawyer Can Allow You to Manage a Loved One's Assets

elder and caregiverA conservatorship lawyer at Froerer & Miles in Ogden, UT, can help you gain the authority to manage your incapacitated loved one’s property and affairs. While an able individual can grant a trusted loved one power of attorney, illness, disability, injury, age, or another conditions may make it impossible for the individual to make that choice. If your loved one is unable to manage his or her own best interests, and you want to become legally responsible for these matters, an attorney can help you become a conservator. To learn more about how we can help, contact our office today.

What is a Conservatorship and How Does it Work?

When an individual has become incapacitated, conservatorship can be appointed to a trusted loved one to help manage:

  • Banking accounts
  • Real estate, land, and livestock
  • Businesses
  • Vehicles

In the state of Utah, conservatorship is court appointed at a full, limited, or temporary capacity, designed to help manage property and financial matters. The courts can also appoint guardianship if the loved one is no longer able to care for their personal welfare and wellbeing. Both guardianship and conservatorship are court appointed, whereas power of attorney can be appointed by the individual to another loved one to assist in their physical welfare and financial matters.

A conservatorship allows you to manage your loved one’s property and affairs if they become incapacitated due to illness, disability, age, or some other cause.

Conservatorship may require a significant amount of time, sensitivity, and patience when making difficult decisions on behalf of the individual. To ensure decisions are being made with the utmost care towards the loved one, a conservator must follow all court orders, update the court annually on the decisions being made, and notify the court of any change of residence. This charge requires considerable compassion and competence, which is why the application process is relatively stringent.

How to Become a Conservator

The first step in filing for a conservatorship is visiting a lawyer. At Froerer & Miles, we can file your conservatorship petition and help you navigate this often complex process. When visiting with one of our lawyers, you will need to present evidence and a list of reasons why conservatorship is necessary for your loved one in order for us to file your petition.

During your initial appointment, the lawyer will discuss what you can expect in the weeks and months ahead while your petition is being filed with the courts. Each case is unique, but in most cases, after your petition has been filed, a mediation and hearing will be set for the judge to review your petition. If no one objects and the loved one is deemed incapacitated, you can be granted a letter of conservatorship.

Contact Us to Learn More

If you are interested in filing for a conservatorship, contact our office online today or call (801) 621-2690 to meet with one of our lawyers. We can help you protect your loved one's best interests.

froerer and miles logo

Froerer & Miles

The attorneys at Froerer & Miles have successfully represented clients in a wide range of practice areas since 1959. Our team of attorneys can protect your best interests in matters related to:

  • Family Law
  • Estate law
  • Real Estate Disputes
  • Business Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Litigation

We offer free consultations and provide honest feedback to potential clients regarding their cases. To request your free consultation, contact us online or call us at (801) 621-2690.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite
Google map image of our location in 2661 Washington Blvd Ste 201 Ogden, UT

Ogden Office

2661 Washington Blvd
Ste 201
Ogden, UT 84401

Open Today 8:30am - 5:00pm

(801) 621-2690 Send a message