An Experienced Child Custody Attorney Offers Solutions
Keeping the welfare and best interests of the children separate and ahead of resolving any differences as husband and wife is often the most difficult challenge of divorce. Ideally, a spirit of cooperation and a shared interest in the children’s welfare prevails and an agreement in the best interest of the children can be reached without having to put them through the ordeal of an all-out custody battle.
Maintaining an objective point of view while going through a divorce is not any easy thing to accomplish. Our attorneys can provide the perspective and legal services you need to minimize the divorce’s effect on your children.
At Froerer & Miles, our attorneys handle divorce cases in the Ogden area and throughout northern Utah.
Whenever appropriate, we try to help clients resolve their marital differences and difficult issues surrounding child custody, child support, and property division amicably, through reasonable discussion and without having to resort to litigation. We also encourage and support the mediation process and other methods of alternative dispute resolution.
In short, we do whatever we can to put clients in position to shape the future they’re going to have with their kids rather than having a judge make those decisions for them.
Our attorneys can provide the perspective and legal services you need to minimize the divorce’s effect on your children.
In Utah, family court judges consider many factors before making a ruling on child custody, including:
- The age, developmental needs, and in some cases, preferences of the child
- Each parent’s ability to promote a positive relationship between the child and the other parent and to
- allow frequent and ongoing contact
- The distance between the parents’ homes
- Previous incidents of domestic violence or child abuse
- Demonstrated moral standards including prior criminal records and evidence of alcoholism or drug addiction
- Other factors the court may find relevant
In addition to handling sole custody, primary custody, visitation and parenting time, and true joint custody or split custody arrangements, our child custody lawyers assist clients with the related issues of child support and obtaining post-divorce modifications to custody agreements.