Grandparents’ Rights

Under Utah law, grandparents have a right to visitation. In general, the court defaults to the parents' determination of whether a relationship with a grandparent is in the child's best interest. However, if a grandparent disagrees with this determination, he or she has the right to pursue visitation rights through the courts. Grandparents can also pursue custody if they believe it would serve the child's best interests. The law firm of Froerer & Miles in Ogden, UT, can help uphold grandparents’ rights in these processes.

grandparent and grandchild

If you feel that a relationship between yourself and your grandchild serves the child's best interests, we are here to help you exercise your rights.

Factors Considered in Granting Visitation or Custody

When seeking visitation or custody of your grandchildren, there are several factors to consider:

  • The physical and emotional needs of the child
  • The financial, emotional, and physical capabilities of the grandparent to meet the needs of the child
  • The wishes and desires of the parent and grandparent
  • The strength of the parent/child relationship as well as the grandparent/child relationship
  • Evidence of abuse or neglect by either the parents or the grandparents
  • Any violations of the law by the parents or grandparents
  • The child’s adjustment to his or her home, surrounding community, school, and atmosphere
  • The willingness and ability of the parent or grandparent to provide love, support, and assistance
  • The physical distance between the child and the parent or grandparent

Our attorneys believe in upholding a child's best interests above all else in these cases. During a consultation, we can determine if there is a strong case for your visitation or custody of your grandchild, and begin building a compelling argument in your favor based on facts relating to all of these factors.

The law firm of Froerer & Miles has spent decades assisting clients in matters of grandparents’ rights and other family law issues. 

How Grandparents Can Pursue Visitation or Custody Rights

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your grandparents’ rights case, it is important to speak with an attorney to learn about your options. We can help you pursue visitation or custody of your grandchild by:

  • Showing proof that a parent is incapable or unfit to care for the child
  • Displaying proof of financial stability
  • Disclosing documentation that shows optimum and stable mental, physical, and emotional health
  • Sharing details of your ability to provide the child with a stable home, surroundings, and schooling

Gathering this documentation can be difficult and complicated. Our attorneys can handle this process for you in order to help achieve the outcome that is best for your grandchild.

Contact Froerer & Miles Today

The law firm of Froerer & Miles has spent decades assisting clients in matters of grandparents’ rights and other family law issues. As our client, you can expect prompt answers to your questions and close contact throughout your case. To start, we offer a free consultation so we can determine whether we are able to help you. Clients can also speak with an attorney by phone before coming in for an initial consultation. Contact Froerer & Miles online or call (801) 621-2690 today.

froerer and miles logo

Froerer & Miles

The attorneys at Froerer & Miles have successfully represented clients in a wide range of practice areas since 1959. Our team of attorneys can protect your best interests in matters related to:

  • Family Law
  • Estate law
  • Real Estate Disputes
  • Business Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Litigation

We offer free consultations and provide honest feedback to potential clients regarding their cases. To request your free consultation, contact us online or call us at (801) 621-2690.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite