dad and daughter

Child Support Lawyer

A separation can be what's best for your family, but navigating family law on your own can be difficult, especially when you have children.

Our child support lawyers can help you establish, modify, or enforce a child support order for the most favorable outcome.

Let Froerer & Miles in Ogden, UT, empower you to uphold your children's best interests and maintain their quality of life.

Put a Lawyer on Your Side as Soon as Possible

Giving your child the life they deserve will require money, and if you're no longer with their other parent, you may still need their financial help. Our attorneys are here to work as a resource for you whether you're finalizing a divorce, working out a custody agreement, or figuring out the details of child support. Send us a message to determine how to proceed.

Mom and daughter

The Basics
of Child Support

It's a parent's legal duty to financially support their minor children. When parents separate, the noncustodial parent pays the custodial parent child support to help cover the expenses it takes to raise a child, like healthcare costs, food, clothing, and more.

In Utah, child support continues until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever happens later. In cases where the child is disabled and dependent on their parents, the court may order child support to continue into adulthood.

Secure the Support Your Child Needs Contact Our Child Support Attorneys in Ogden, UT, Today

Being a parent means your life is already full of challenges. Navigating the law and securing child support doesn't have to be another one. Our child support attorneys can advocate for the right amount of support so your child has a nurturing and fulfilling life, no matter which household they're in.

Put an attorney on your side who understands Utah's Uniform Child Support Guidelines and can help ensure everything has been calculated correctly. Reach out to our Ogden, UT, office today:

(801) 621-2690

"I've worked with this Law Firm and Zane Froerer for several years. One of the best attributes that they have is they are big enough to handle most legal matters but small enough to still give the appropriate attention to their Clients. Zane and his staff of Corrine and Lisa do an excellent job of helping you with your legal matters but not charging you an arm and a leg. Overall just a great firm to work with!" Bailey Hall

Calculating Child Support

Our lawyers can help you pursue and enforce child support from their other parent. Calculating child support takes two main factors into consideration: both parents' gross monthly income and the number of overnights the child spends with each parent.


Parents are required to prove their monthly income to the court. If a parent is not currently working, the court will assume how much the parent would be able to earn each month based on a 40-hour work week. This amount will depend on factors like the parent's work history, qualifications, and employment opportunities. If these factors are unknown, the federal minimum wage may be used.

Income will not be assigned if:

  • The parent is training to establish basic job skills
  • The parent is physically or mentally unable to earn minimum wage
  • The cost of childcare approaches or equals the amount of income the custodial parent can earn
  • The child has emotional or physical needs that require the presence of the custodial parent in the home


In joint physical custody situations, it is expected that both parents contribute to things like school fees, school lunches, and clothing. The court order will detail how much these contributions cost and how the payment is split between parents.

In sole physical custody situations, the custodial parent is responsible for all expenses, but the non-custodial parent pays child support to cover the expenses.

The number of overnights the child spends with each parent will affect custody and ultimately child support.

  • Joint physical custody: The child spends 111 nights a year at the home of each parent
  • Sole physical custody: The child spends 225 nights a year at the home of one parent

Modifying Child Support

Utah law allows a parent to request a modification to an existing child support order when it has been three or more years since the order was entered or there has been a change in circumstances such as:

  • A custody alteration
  • The child's medical needs
  • A 30% increase or decrease in income

Our Ogden, UT, attorneys can help you seek post-divorce modifications to current child support payments or obligations, whether it involves reducing or increasing payments.

Our Family Law Services

In addition to child support, our attorneys serving all of Northern Utah from Ogden can assist you with family law services like:


Divorce can become contentious quickly, but with a lawyer on your side, you can protect your property, children, and future. We prefer a collaborative approach whenever possible so both parties can get what they want from the divorce, but we will ultimately do what it takes to help you reach your best possible outcome.

Explore Divorce Services

Child Custody

Our family law attorneys can help you determine a child custody arrangement that benefits your children by securing a safe future in a stable environment. We also want to protect your relationship with your children and minimize the effect your separation will have on them.

Explore Child Custody Services


How much child support will I pay/receive?

It depends. Our attorneys can help you calculate roughly how much support you can expect to pay or receive under different scenarios. Factors in this calculation include income, the number of children in the family, previous support obligations, and medical and daycare costs.

Can I withhold parent time if I don't receive child support?

No. Likewise, a parent can't stop paying child support if parent time is being denied. All parties must obey court orders.

How can I pay child support?

While both parents can agree on a method for child support payment, the noncustodial parent can also make arrangements with their employer to have child support withheld from their earnings. Child support can be made between the two parties or through Utah's Office of Recovery Services.

"My sister recommended Kelly Miles and I'm glad she did, he was so professional, made us feel at ease and he treated us like family. He gave us a tabed binder with everything we needed. Kelley went up and above to insure we understood everything. I have recommended him to several of my friends and they won't be disappointed." Pearl Clawson
froerer and miles logo

Froerer & Miles

The attorneys at Froerer & Miles have successfully represented clients in a wide range of practice areas since 1959. Our team of attorneys can protect your best interests in matters related to:

  • Family Law
  • Estate law
  • Real Estate Disputes
  • Business Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Litigation

We offer free consultations and provide honest feedback to potential clients regarding their cases. To request your free consultation, contact us online or call us at (801) 621-2690.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite